Download iOS 8 GM (Gold Master)
After Apple’s new operating system, iOS 8, was first unveiled during the WWDC Conference, the beta version was made available, bringing a lot of new features to all the supported devices.
Still, it was the beta, but last week, during the iPhone 6 launch event, the iOS 8 GM version, was announced as available for registered developers of the iOS Developer Program.
The iOS 8 GM, or Gold Master, is the final build of iOS 8, announced just before the software is publicly released, having the same build number as the one that comes pre-installed on new devices.
The final version of iOS 8 will be available on September 17th, but if you can’t wait, here’s a quick guide on how to download iOS 8 GM and install it on your iPhone.
In order to download iOS 8 and complete the install, make sure your iOS device is on the following list:
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S
- iPad Air, Retina iPad mini, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPad 3, iPad 2
- 5th generation iPod touch
Make sure that your device is registered for the Apple iOS developer program, otherwise, the following links to download iOS 8 GM can’t be accessed:
Download iOS 8 GM – Download Links
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4s
- iPad Air (Model A1474)
- iPad Air (Model A1475)
- iPad Air (Model A1476)
- iPad mini (Model A1489)
- iPad mini (Model A1490)
- iPad mini (Model A1491)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
- iPad mini (Model A1432)
- iPad mini (Model A1454)
- iPad mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
Pick the version suitable for your device and, after it has been successfully downloaded, extract the .ipsw file. In order to proceed to the install, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed.
How to install iOS 8 GM
- Open iTunes
- Connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your PC and launch iTunes
- Select your device from the top right corner and go to the Summary Tab
- Hold Option/Shift and click on Update iPhone
- Select the .ipsw file from the folder where you have extracted it and click on Open
- Wait for your iPhone’s notification, prompting you that your device will be updated and click Ok to continue
- After the phone reboots, you will get the ‘Slide to upgrade’ message. Proceed.
- your iPhone/iPad/iPod will reboot again. Swipe on the ‘Slide to setup‘ and tap Continue
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
After these steps are completed, the download iOS 8 GM and installation is completed and you are ready to enjoy your new mobile operating system.
If you followed our above download iOS 8 GM guide, we’re waiting for your opinion. What do you think about the last version before the final release? Does it match your expectations?